Golf is a competitive sport. A golfer prefers courses that match his/her skill level and provides an adequate challenge for an interesting game. Course condition, history, location, scenery and status are also important elements in selecting a golf course. Northeast Iowa is a prime location for a golfer’s paradise with these six courses.
- Big Rock Country Club: Located in the town of Fayette in Fayette County, Iowa, Big Rock Country Club is an 18-hole golf course. The Volga River and the rolling hills of Northeast Iowa present for a spectacular scenery. Avid golfers will enjoy the challenging sand bunkers. Beginners will find the course relaxing also. A driving range, practice greens and cart rentals adds to the amazing experience. The course features 5,898 yards of golf from the longest tee, a par of 70, a course rating of 67.8 and a slope of 118.
- Blackbone Golf and Country Club: The course is located in Strawberry Point, Iowa in Clayton County. Blackbone Golf and Country Club is a nine-hole course that was constructed in 1966. The semi-private golf course has an open guest policy, a 107 slope and a course rating of 33.7.
- Cresco Country Club: Located in Howard County, Cresco Country Club is a nine-hole private course located in a beautiful tranquil setting. The well-established golf course opened in 1923. The slope for the course is rated at 116, with an overall course rating of 35.5.
- Pin Oak Golf Course: Manchester Golf Course has been renamed as Pin Oak. The new course was expanded to 18 holes of golf in the year 2000. A brand new 8,000 sq. ft. clubhouse has been constructed on the property. Pin Oak is located in Manchester, Iowa in Delaware County. The course features an impressive 6,253 yards of golf from the back tee.
- Silvercrest Country Club: The nine-hole picturesque hillside golf course is located in Decorah, Iowa in Winneshiek County. Silvercrest is an awesome course with a breathtaking view of the city of Decorah and challenging greens. The course opened in 1935 and features 2,880 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 36.
- Waukon Golf and Country Club: The course is located in Waukon, Iowa in Allamakee County. Beginners and experienced golfers find the nine-hole course a respite with serene rolling hills, par 35 course and reasonable green fees. Constructed in 1923, the course offers 3,017 yards of golf from the longest tees with a slope rating of 113.
(Photo courtesy Flickr Creative Commons)